Aims

Although the number of species that we record is not the be-all and end-all of our efforts, it is something that can focus the mind and add a bit of fun to the proceedings. So, for next years mini-Uber bash, I've set myself some targets...

BIRDS 110
Not the most ornithologically blessed of areas, but when you consider that I've seen Ring-necked Duck and Dotterel within its confines then there is always hope. And don't be fooled by that duck - not for me will there be mornings spent scoping wildfowl, as there is no water body larger than a town park pond - which is exactly where that duck decided to spend two consecutive winters (Bourne Hall, Ewell). My aspirations climb no higher than a shrike, Wryneck or harrier, but is likely to get no better than a Ring Ouzel or Pied Flycatcher.

PLANTS 600
A bit of a punt this figure, and should be easily reachable if I try my hand at grasses and sedges - oh, and ferns! There is some cracking habitat, from the rarity-choked Fames Rough, the orchid haunted Howell Hill and plenty of varied habitat to record a cross section of species. Wetland plants will be thin on the ground.

MOTHS 450
A good year can see 275 macros in the garden, so chuck in the micros, plus a bit of sweeping on the chalk downland and I should surpass my target figure. A good migrant year can up the excitement, although the recent good spell only produced a couple of Rusty-dot Pearls  - most disappointing.

BUTTERFLIES 36
I'm blessed with plenty of quality on my doorstep - Purple Emperor, Silver-spotted Skipper, Brown Hairstreak and Silver-washed Fritillary for starters, although adding more to this total will be hard - it would need a real goody to turn up.

Comments

Gibster said…
And mosses, Steve, can't forgot the mosses ("oh yes I bloody well can - and have" says Steve!)
Steve Gale said…
Seth, I like them, but not next year... Enjoy NZ!

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"