Downs Field


This was Downs Field this morning, from the lower, south-eastern corner. It is a big field - I don't know its acreage or hectarage I'm afraid, but I wouldn't like to have to run around its perimeter thank you very much! As you can see from the photograph above, it gently slopes up towards the west, reaching a plateau that continues for a good 200m towards a minor road. It is at this furthest point that the Night-flowering Catchfly used to be found, along with more Sharp-leaved and Round-leaved Fluellens that you could shake a stick at. In fact, this strip held a vibrant arable weed community. I could find four loafing Lapwing, but no interaction or display was observed. A further lurking Lapwing was found on 40 Acre Field South.

As I have mentioned before, The Woodland Trust are going to plant this field with trees to establish their Centenary Wood. Although I have not totally given up on attempts to persuade them to spare the field from such action, I do think it highly unlikely that they will backtrack on their plans... so, as a secondary action, how about they 'give up' a 75-100m strip along the western field border to become a part of their Arable Plant Zone? They still get their wish to plant 90% of the field with trees and 'we' get to keep an important area for arable plants - reckon they would go for it?


Although it was quite bright this morning, the nagging westerly wind was quite chilly, so this Small Tortoiseshell was a welcome addition to the notebook.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"