Another one bites the dust

In my brief, but glorious career as a twitcher, I saw a number of highly desirable species that had become blockers. For those who do not know what a blocker is, it is a bird whose rarity has not been diminished by turning up again enabling other birders to see it.

I used to have a good list of blockers. They are slowly dwindling in number...

The Semipalmated Plover in Devon was an UNBLOCKER

The Belted Kingfisher of a few Aprils ago was an UNBLOCKER

And now, the cherished Orphean Warbler that I watched on St. Marys in 1981 has been UNBLOCKED.

Just keep away from my Wallcreepers, Varied Thrush, Hudsonian Godwit, Little Whimbrel, Golden-winged Warbler... I need them as currency for bragging rights!

Comments

Skev said…
I think pretty much all of the good rarities that I've seen were twitched en masse so certainly not blockers in the same league as yours - at least not at the moment but maybe in another decade or so there will be lots of 30-something listers hankering after a Grey-tailed Tattler, Snowy Egret, Short-billed Dowitcher, Short-toed Eagle .....
Steve Gale said…
I reckon you've got some 'up and coming currency' among that lot Skev.

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood