More worthy blogs

Let me introduce you to three 'new' blogs that I've added to my worthy list. The first is one that was on the list already but had 'dropped off' by accident (and I've only just noticed), and that is Jonathan Lethbridge's 'Wanstead Birder'. It really doesn't need any bigging up here, as it is already one of those blogs that everybody likes - well written, stunning photography - but I bet he can't tap dance or juggle! There must be something that he can't do all that well...

Second up is Bill's Birding, a teenage natural history obsessive from my home county of Surrey. What with him and David Campbell showing us old gits how to do it I'm going to have to reassess my view that birding is only populated by those that suck on Werther's Originals, wear comfy slippers and cultivate nose and ear hair.

Lastly (but of course, not least) is the Surrey Moths and Butterflies blog that a few enthusiasts have banded together to ensure that all of the local lepidoptera news gets out into the blogosphere. No doubt I will read all about stuff that has escaped my detection over the coming season.

You will find them all in the column over on the right hand side. As always, go visit them and enjoy.

Comments

Factor said…
Great minds, etc. Bill's Birding is one I discovered yesterday for the first time.
Billy Dykes said…
Thanks for the plug, Steve. Some very thought provoking stuff you've been putting out there recently, especially regarding the link between technology reliance and modern day birding. When I first started birding in 2008 at the age of 14, I'm ashamed to say I very much centred my hobby around the likes of Birdguides/Birdforum, and I often found myself becoming completely dependent on the Q and A section, just expecting others to identify birds for me.

Although I do still enjoy putting photos up on Birdguides, I'd like to think I use technology in a more beneficial way since creating the blog; exposing my (relatively unknown) patch to a broader audience, sharing local sightings and resources, compiling records for submission, contributing to online petitions/surveys etc... whilst still enjoying the odd twitch here and there!

On another note, please let me know if you ever want to join the SMAB team, you'd be more than welcome.

Cheers, Bill
Steve Gale said…
Thanks for commenting Bill. We all start birding at varying ages and with varying aims. We cannot help the era in which we begin our birding journeys and this does mould us as to how we proceed. That is what makes the human side of this all the more fascinating, with different takes on what is a common interest. Thanks for the SMAB invite, I might just take you up on that.

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood