Greater Dodder and a micro with a long name


Greater Dodder (both pictures) on Common Nettle, banks of the River Mole, Mickleham

I found myself along the banks of the River Mole at Mickleham this morning, searching for Greater Dodder. I had found the plant here before, but my recent searches had drawn a blank, so I was delighted to come across four healthy patches, all on Common Nettle. Also recorded was Water Chickweed, Arrowhead and Yellow Loosestrife.

After wards I headed up the hill and into Norbury Park, where Broad-leaved Helleborine and half-a-dozen Silver-washed Fritillaries were the highlight.

The garden MV was quieter than of late, although a Dark Sword-grass was noteworthy. A common micro was welcomed to the list, Aspilapteryx tringipennella (below)


Comments

Nice Gracillaridae, I like their posture. Last night's trapping graced me with the pretty Mompha locupletella as a new species.
Steve Gale said…
I, too, like thses tiny moths. Trouble is Andrew, my eyesight is not what it was, so I cannot appreciate them fully until I blow up the image or get out the magnifying glass!
Mark G. Telfer said…
Steve, I saw Greater Dodder thereabouts myself some years ago. I was with a botanist friend who has a good nose and always gives plants a good sniff. It's not a habit I practice myself as I usually can't smell anything. But Greater Dodder we decided smells as if someone has eaten too many sweets, and then been sick - memorable!
Steve Gale said…
I must have a good sniff next time - even if the smell is as rank as you describe Mark!

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"