Greater Dodder and a micro with a long name


Greater Dodder (both pictures) on Common Nettle, banks of the River Mole, Mickleham

I found myself along the banks of the River Mole at Mickleham this morning, searching for Greater Dodder. I had found the plant here before, but my recent searches had drawn a blank, so I was delighted to come across four healthy patches, all on Common Nettle. Also recorded was Water Chickweed, Arrowhead and Yellow Loosestrife.

After wards I headed up the hill and into Norbury Park, where Broad-leaved Helleborine and half-a-dozen Silver-washed Fritillaries were the highlight.

The garden MV was quieter than of late, although a Dark Sword-grass was noteworthy. A common micro was welcomed to the list, Aspilapteryx tringipennella (below)


Comments

Nice Gracillaridae, I like their posture. Last night's trapping graced me with the pretty Mompha locupletella as a new species.
Steve Gale said…
I, too, like thses tiny moths. Trouble is Andrew, my eyesight is not what it was, so I cannot appreciate them fully until I blow up the image or get out the magnifying glass!
Mark G. Telfer said…
Steve, I saw Greater Dodder thereabouts myself some years ago. I was with a botanist friend who has a good nose and always gives plants a good sniff. It's not a habit I practice myself as I usually can't smell anything. But Greater Dodder we decided smells as if someone has eaten too many sweets, and then been sick - memorable!
Steve Gale said…
I must have a good sniff next time - even if the smell is as rank as you describe Mark!

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood