Red Cage (Clathrus ruber)


Just before I left the office this evening I checked my emails to find one from Banstead's very own botanical guru, John Peacock. He was alerting me to the appearance of Clathrus ruber, a sessile stinkhorn that rarely appears in the UK. It has an English name - Red Cage.

I have longed after seeing this species, and had looked in vain for it before, when John discovered it growing under a yew tree in Banstead two years ago. Last year was a no show, so his message had me detouring from home. The light was fading and I only had my camera phone with which to record this striking fungus. I could see two fruiting bodies from some way off, one much larger than the other. There are several coral-red species, all with an exotic and startling appearance that, I believe, come from Australasia. Their appearances may be increasing, particularly on municipal wood mulch.

The irony of rushing off to twitch a fungus is not lost on me. I expect cries of 'hypocrite' to come from several birders...

Thanks John, you've made my day!

Comments

Nice one! This has been on my mind over the last couple of weeks each time I pass woodchip mulch.
Steve Gale said…
And to celebrate Andrew, I imbibed in a couple of Innis & Gunn Rum finish ales.
Phil said…
Wonderful! In 1963, when I was twelve years old, I stayed in a youth hostel on the Isle of Wight (at Whitwell) and they had one of these in their grounds. I've been looking for another one ever since....
Steve Gale said…
I'm really keen to see Devil's-fingers now Phil!
Gibster said…
You know there are quite a few Aseroe rubra up at Oxshott Common at the mo? I'm hoping to try for them tomorrow...
Steve Gale said…
Any idea whereabouts Seth? I must go this weekend...
Gibster said…
I have a very precise idea indeed! :) I'll PM you some details

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood