Back in the field

After two weeks of being housebound, the antibiotics and antivirals seem to have done the trick and I once more ventured into the great outdoors! An easy wander seemed the most sensible thing to embark upon, so I kept myself to this winding lane that meanders through Canons Farm:


You can scan most of the farm from this road, with several vantage points that give the observer a good 360 degree panorama. I stood with scope on tripod for a couple of hours but it was very hard work, although 16 Skylarks, 100 Fieldfares and 20 Yellowhammers kept me company.

I then went back (for the third time this year) to try and see the wintering Firecrests on Banstead Downs. They are but a couple of hundred metres from where you can park a car, so once again I wasn't overdoing it. On their chosen footpath all was ominously quiet, but seeing that the sun was shining and there was scarcely a breeze I ventured out onto the eastern (open) side of a substantial stand of holly and was soon watching one of the Firecrests hovering feet from my face, bathed in sunshine and looking in rude health. I could have gone on but thought it best to get back home and not push myself too far - my God I sound old...

Comments

Factor said…
I swear those Firecrests are invisible...
Steve Gale said…
Until this year Neil I've not had a problem seeing them!
Paul Trodd said…
Fabulous little sprites are Firecrests, I`m lucky enough to regularly see them in my back garden down here on the coast where they`re commoner than Goldcrests. Good to hear you`re out and about again, and in glorious winter sunshine too - not long now `til that first white arse!
Steve Gale said…
I'm expecting you to be vying for the 'Wheatear Prizes' Paul!

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood