These are a few of my favourite things...


Chats! I love 'em! Whinchats, Stonechats, Wheatears, Common Redstarts, Black Redstarts - I could go on. They are colourful, perform out in the open, are largely tolerant of us birders and, at the risk of being accused of anthropomorphism, full of charm. And when I came across a tight knit group of a Whinchat and three Stonechats at Canons Farm this afternoon, I was a happy lad. All four were faithful to a short run of hedgerow, fence and stubble at Reeds Rest Bottom for at least two hours. I left them as the rain set in and would have stayed but for the schoolboy error of not taking a jacket out with me.

The bridge camera managed to get a few reasonable shots, one a 'mood' setter of both species on a fence, plus a bonus image of one of the male Stonechats with an orthopteran snack in its bill (above), which I didn't notice until I checked the images on the computer. Enjoy!




Comments

Derek Faulkner said…
The Chats seem to be a popular bird with many observers these days. Possibly because many of us only seem them as they pass through our patches. We had four Whinchats pass through yesterday while doing a WEBS counts but it's the Stonechat that I favour. We only get them on The Swale NNR in the winter when they turn up most days to brighten up the dullness.
Steve Gale said…
I think you've hit the nail on the head there Derek.
Are robins not classed as chats these days?
Steve Gale said…
They are Simon, and most welcome to the party too.

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood