The return of bits of twig and mothy things

I've been bad. I've neglected my moths - no MV out in the garden since mid-February. And I've largely ignored my flowers - barely glanced at them to be honest. Trouble is, if I don't keep looking at them and naming them, then I lose what little information I'd retained. It means a return to basics, a need to search once again for the commonest names and an uphill struggle to try and remember salient identification features. Does it matter? No, not really, but it does seem a shame to 'go back to square one' when you've put a lot of effort in over the years to try and get to the level of 'competent'. I was wandering around a very quiet Priest Hill this morning when I had a pang of regret over this situation. As much as I've enjoyed the many hours spent birding at this site over the past four months, it's a little like driving up a cul-de-sac - you do need to turn around at some point. So, the MV will be going out again soon and a trek onto the North Downs for a proper day's botanising will quickly follow. Neil Randon once said that this blog had too many references to "'bits of twig and mothy things'" - I think it is dire need of an injection of such stuff. But until then, a Skylark from today, one of the dozen or so present.


Comments

Derek Faulkner said…
Icy cold winds and freezing temperatures over the last week or so must of been a good excuse for forsaking other things besides birds, I know I haven't felt too inspired just lately to hang around on the marsh looking for less obvious things.
Steve Gale said…
You've got a point there Derek. Bring on some warmth!

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood