Porth Reservoir


It’s always a pleasure to visit a new site. I had heard of Porth Reservoir via the CBWPS website and was aware that it is frequently covered albeit by a small number of birders. I decided to walk there from Porth (which took an hour) and was impressed with what I found. It is a long, narrow body of water, flanked by woodland on its southern and eastern flank. At the western end, where I entered the reservoir, I flushed a group of four Common Sandpipers from the dam, but apart from a single Kingfisher the birding did not improve. No doubt regular visits would pay dividends here. Botanically I was pleased to find so much Common Valerian, although it was a clump of the alien Pickerelweed that stole the show. Also of note was the number of Odonata on show - surely there lurks a Lesser Emperor or two...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"