It's psyllid time



We have plenty of Red Valerian in the garden, a plant I like due to its ability to attract insects. I had noticed that a clump, by our front steps, was exhibiting a rose-coloured gall along some leaf edges, so investigated further. It is a fairly straightforward identification apparently - it is caused by Trioza centranthi (a species of Psyllid).


When looking at the above image on the computer, I noticed that there was an insect on the leaf that I had photographed. The resulting magnified crop is below. Could it be? Well, identifying the adults is meant to be tricky, way beyond my skill-set, but looking at images of adults on-line, this looks like a good match. Its presence on the food plant must count for something, if nothing more than a strong suggestion that this is, indeed, an adult Trioza centranthi. An enjoyable lockdown interlude.

Comments

Gibster said…
Good hit! I've never seen this away from the south coast, I had no idea they were as far inland as you are. There's a similar sort of thing on Bay leaves too, if you have one in the neighbourhood?
Skev said…
It's here in VC55, so must be spreading North.
Dave Boyle said…
There's also something very similar on Matipo, Myrsine chathamica - I was wondering what it was, I'll have a look in to psyllids!
Steve Gale said…
Thanks all for your comments - it’s heartening that a post o out psyllids can get any response at all!
Gibster said…
Far more interesting than birds, buddy. I fully expect to see a post about your slippers next, a la Jono style....

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood