It is what it is

The 14-day local uberpatch blitz continued. It must be said that the birding has been awfully quiet. It isn't just the passage migrants that are missing - the same could be said for any song-bird passerine. Actually thinking about it, the same could be said for ANYTHING. Even the ubiquitous corvids, pigeons and parakeets have suddenly gone AWOL, and gulls seem to have done a runner as well. Something tells me that they aren't elsewhere, that the numbers are low because the populations have plummeted. I have to keep reminding myself that birding is not a chore, I'm able to walk miles across beautiful scenery and that I have a choice not to do so. However, as worthy as that approach is, there is no denying that things are seriously wrong, not only with our bird numbers but also with our insects. It is easy for the general birder to put all this to one side and celebrate the fact that there are thousands of rare, misplaced seabirds on our western shores, putting on spectacular performances in scenes that have never before been witnessed. The fact that these events are almost certainly down to a shift in the range of the birds food supply (due to warming sea temperatures brought on by the man-made climate crisis) is regularly brushed under the carpet. Anyway, back to modest Surrey...

DAY 3 September 3rd Misty start, soon burning off to reveal a hot, sun day with a gentle NE breeze.

A dawn start at the Stew Ponds on Epsom Common provided a group of four young Mandarin (above), a couple of surprise Teal and a flyover Yellow Wagtail. I was looking forward to visiting nearby Rushett Farm, an area full of weedy corners, big skies and, at least during the winter months, birds. Apart from two Reed Buntings todays headline news was the number of walkers, cyclists, dog walkers and runners - at a small caravan that sells very good coffee and cakes I counted 80 people. I left quickly afterwards. An afternoon skywatch back home did not bother the notebook.

DAY 4 September 4th Sunny, hot, E f3

Today had the feeling of doing some 'proper' birding, as I visited my old patch at Beddington SF. I no longer have access to the site so made do with using the public hides and permissive footpath. Number one problem is that the hides face east, so when the skies are clear your view is blinded by the low morning sun. Number two problem is that this view is also compromised by the scrub and reeds that have grown up in front of the viewing slats. I wasn't happy. The morning was rescued by 4 Little Egrets, a Shelduck, four Lapwing, a Greenshank and three Cetti's Warbler. When a friend asked me if I fancied spending the afternoon with him in a beer garden, I agreed. After all, I could still skywatch! My additional 'beer goggles' did not allow for any stringing though...

DAY 5 September 5th Sunny, hot, E breeze.

22.1km walked. Loads of lovely chalk downland scrub and hedgerow. I don't think that I've ever had such a quiet mornings birding. Desperate. We go again tomorrow.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood

To tell it like it is, or not...