The fruits of late autumn


The hedgerows on Walton Downs were splendid this morning - plenty of leaf still intact and of various colour - plus an abundance of fruit, in particular Spindle, Rosehips, Buckthorn, Black Bryony, Wild Privet and Hawthorn. I don't think that I've seen such a show so late in the year.

Spindle - an abundance of this gaudy pink fruit...
... which when split reveals an orange seed - colour co-ordination gone AWOL!!
Plenty of Hawthorn still decked with haws and only a few thrushes taking advantage
There were moderate numbers of thrushes around, with 50+ Redwing, 25 Blackbird, 15 Fieldfare and a smattering of Song Thrush. The fields harboured 50+ Skylark. I was pleased to find a couple of Marsh Tits still being faithful to Little Hurst Wood. Very poor picture follows...


Comments

I saw my first winter thrushes at the weekend, feeding off hawthorn on the NCN64 cycle track
Steve Gale said…
Simon, the winter thrushes are among my favourites. Nothing not to like!
Unknown said…
I have been noticing the berry laden Hawthorns this autumn too. I often mistake them at a distance for a tree with red autumn leaves.
Derek Faulkner said…
What a lovely set of photos Steve, love the Spindle fruits, lovely colours! How lovely also, that the hedgerows remain untouched by human hand into the winter and are providing such an abundance of food and shelter - a lovely scene and pictures for me, that are as good as any rare bird ones.
Steve Gale said…
Andrew, some species here had a poor fruiting year (Blackthorn), but plenty of others are doing well.
Steve Gale said…
It was a pleasure to be out observing it Derek.

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood