Mickleham winter flora

I normally go and pay my respects to the 'winter' flora in the Mickleham area each January, and seeing that it is February on Wednesday I only had two days in which to keep up my record.

A grey, drizzly morning kept the light low and gave everything the feeling of being in two dimensions - flat was the word. I started at the White Hill car park and was soon checking the old wall that runs alongside the isolated cottage. It is here that you can usually find Rustyback, and I was pleased to come across two plants, mixed in with the more numerous Wall-rue. Then onto the slopes of Mickleham Downs, home to a great south-eastern rarity, truly wild Wild Candytuft. Several hundred plants are present, although I went no further than the first flowering plant that I came across. This species is in flower all year round here, although the books don't refer to it as having a constant flowering season. Nearby was plenty of Stinking Hellebore, in various sizes and age. Both these species find the areas of bare mud and crumbling chalk to their liking.

A walk along the road into Mickleham Village produced Butcher's Broom, Mistletoe and Winter Heliotrope, with Hart's-tongue and Snowdrop also being seen by the time the church was reached.

A few Juniper bushes at the top of Box Hill, and several woody Spurge-laurel plants back at the bottom of Juniper Top were further notables. No images I'm afraid. My trusty Panasonic compact camera seems to be finally packing up - all the pictures were strangely out of focus, but it is quite old. The bridge camera will now be pressed into macro service.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood