Tame egrets




Over the past couple of weeks, the Little Egrets frequenting the River Hogsmill (and surrounds) at Ewell Village have been very approachable. There are certainly two - and maybe three - present, and are most reliably found in the watery channels close to the Mill, and also the stretch of river beyond the tunnel, at the start of the Hogsmill Open Space reserve. They are pretty skittish when feeding in the water, but if you come across one perched in a tree (as I did this morning) then your luck could be in. So far this month there has been a Water Rail, 4+ Kingfisher, 2 Common Snipe, a Firecrest and 4 Waxwing in this small area. Well worth a look.

Comments

Gibster said…
Saw my first ever Kingfisher by that tunnel, the day after my 17th birthday way back in 1989. No egrets there in those days! Mind you, it was great for Lesser spots. Swings and roundabouts eh?
Steve Gale said…
Less complicated times eh Seth... or maybe not.
Unknown said…
Hi Steve. I work for Epsom and ewell council as a ecologist. one of my job is to collect biological records in the borough. your blog often contains record from sites in the borough. I wondered if you might be interested in sending us records of what you find. The record are only for our use and used to guide management and protect biodiversity. If you do want to, I can give you my details. best wishes. Pete Howarth
Gibster said…
He's a nice fella Steve, and a real authority of bryophytes if you wanna bump your tally up? You could tell him where the Daffodil Flies are this spring! Hello Pete, I have Saccogyna viticulosa all over the place up here! :)
Steve Gale said…
Hi Peter, no problem at all, would be delighted to. We have met before - I attended an LNHS bryophyte walk on Epsom Common that you lead - Seth was there too! Please send me your details, and the kind of records you are after, to swgale1958@gmail.com
Unknown said…
Hi Steve, thank you very much for that I will email you soon. yes of course you were I remember now it was a nice walk and nice to meet you
Unknown said…
Hi Seth, thank you! how is it going? judging by your liverwort you are somewhere nice and western
Gibster said…
Isle of Skye! You'd love it, more lichens and bryophytes than I thought possible.

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood