Close encounters of a Kestrel kind


Another morning visit to Priest Hill and another couple of hours spent in the idle hope that (at least) a Yellow Wagtail would fly over calling, or a Whinchat deign to alight on a nearby fencepost - such is the life of the inland patch worker. Single Cormorant, Sand Martin and Lesser Whitethroat are what passed for highlights around these parts...

However, life isn't measured in rarities (or common passage migrants), which is just as well at the moment. This Kestrel tried to inject some interest into the proceedings by resolutely refusing to leave its chosen perch. Both of these pictures are un-cropped. These bridge cameras are rather good!

Comments

Derek Faulkner said…
Nice photos. My walk was delayed by heavy rain at first. Wheatears are coming through daily now, plus I had a Common Sandpiper this morning.
Steve Gale said…
Derek, I'd be grateful if you could redirect some of the Wheatears to Surrey!
Beautiful shots! Was watching a kestrel on the hover today as I weeded my workplace nature garden
Skev said…
Blimey - are they off the Nikon P600 or have you gone up a notch! And what post-processing package did you use to hide the nail through it's claw .....
Steve Gale said…
I'm using a Canon Powershot SX60 now Mark - I went for it after seeing the results that another birder had obtained. It's OK as a macro, although I still prefer my Panasonic compact for moths and plants.
Steve Gale said…
The bird helped by not moving much...
Phil Slade said…
Splendid picture. These bridge cameras do get better all the time. However the photographer must always take some credit in not making the bird fly off.
Steve Gale said…
Thanks Phil, although I think that I could have been playing a bass drum and the bird would have stayed put!

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood