More Willow Emerald Damselflies


Earlier today, Katrina and I met our good friends Gordon and Mieko Hay for a pub lunch at the Inn on the Pond, Nutfield Marsh. This is just a stone's throw from Holmethorpe SPs, and - it just so happened - Gordon and I had taken our optics along for the outing... cue post lunch walk, which took in a loop around Spynes Mere. The still, muggy air was most conducive to a bit of odonata action, with the most numerous species present being the 15-20 Willow Emerald Damselflies. They were happy to perch for the camera, but as a subject were difficult to capture well with the bridge camera. The best of my effort is above. If you want to see good quality images, take a look at what Marc Heath produces here  -  just shows you what skill, patience and top notch equipment can result in, three elements in which I sadly lack.

Comments

Marc Heath said…
A nice capture of one of my faves and many thanks for your kind words, much appreciated. I have been lucky to spend hours in their company studying and photographing them. There's still a lot to be learnt from them and I will continue to see what I can turn up. I regularly read your blog, keep up the good work, it's a great read.
Steve Gale said…
I have still to find a cure for the 'image envy' I suffer when I visit your site! Thank you very much for your own kind words, it's great to get positive feedback.
Gibster said…
Still to meet Willow Emerald, maybe we could arrange a day for this time next year to put that right? I could show you a sexy sedge or grass in return...? ;)
Gibster said…
Actually who am I kiddin'? You're well up on me in the sedge/grass stakes. Maybe a platyhelminth ot hydra instead? Or just a beer, I'd settle for that. Cheese and onion crisps though, right?
Steve Gale said…
All of the above Seth, apart from the flavour of crisps...

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood