Naturalised plants


I like nothing better than a patch of waste ground full of naturalised (or escaped) plants. They are generally bright and colourful and add a splash of vibrancy to what can be pretty forlorn places. Whether they appeared thanks to dumped soil, fly tipped waste or just bloody-minded opportunism, all are welcome. There is a patch of hard-standing at Canons Farm in front of Lunch Wood, where over the years mounds of concrete, tarmac and earth have been placed to deter squatters entering and setting up camp. This morning there was a fine show of plants amongst the undulating ground, with multi-coloured Foxgloves, Columbines of various shades, a blowsy and vibrant dark-blue geranium, Love-in-a-mist (above) and Fox-and-cubs (below). They beat Hogweed and Stinging Nettles!


Apart from a Hobby and two singing Yellowhammers (below) it was quiet bird-wise, plus a rather stunning Alabonia geoffrella (bottom). I doubt if there is a better looking micro moth out there.




Comments

WHat a lovely yellowhammer, singing away,full of joy.
Steve Gale said…
I rarely get that close to one Simon.
Derek Faulkner said…
I love the Fox and Cubs, such intense colouring. They flower in our local cemetery and so last year I took some seeds home and grew my own which are now flowering in the garden. Apparently they spread like mad and so I might regret it.
Steve Gale said…
I always get a jolt of joy when I come across it Derek.

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood