Wild Liquorice


This is a plant that had eluded me - I'd searched the well-known Surrey site at Brockham Quarry several times, but had failed - that is until this morning. Thanks to a combination of scrub clearance and some kind and helpful directions, I was able to pay my respects to a sizeable clump (several square metres) just off of the footpath above Brockham Quarry, with a further plant some 10m away. It was a larger and more robust species than I expected and has become a firm favourite. There must be more to find...



Comments

Gibster said…
I've had Wild Liquorice in Headley Warren, I spent a lot of time there checking the seedheads for a certain micro-moth that I never saw. I heard since that the plants at Headley may have been planted. Whether planted or genuine, there were certainly were a good many patches when I was there. And looking rather more wild than a certain bunch of Starfruits that I once saw... ;)
Steve Gale said…
The 'notable' plants at Headley Warren do have an air of suspicion about them, whereas that bunch of Starfruits - you can almost see the Wellington boot prints in the mud of the bloke who planted them.

Popular posts from this blog

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood

To tell it like it is, or not...