Look what’s popped up...


When I took the lawn mower out to tidy up the front lawn I was staggered to see this Pyramidal Orchid standing proud. It was a bit the worse for wear, having had the leaves nibbled - most probably slugs - but the flower head was present and just starting to flower. The garden is on chalk with just a shallow depth of earth. The closest Pyramidal Orchids are maybe 3/4 of a mile away. Our front lawn has a good natural flora, with species such as Blue Fleabane and Small Toadflax cropping up, plus common calcareous grassland plants. I mowed around the orchid and am proudly watching it open up.

Comments

Gavin Haig said…
That's brilliant Steve. I have customer who stopped cutting his grass a few years back, and he now has two orchid sp growing. Should be seeing him tomorrow, so I'll take some pics. 😊

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood