Sphagnum scene


I was slightly disappointed at the lack of Sphagnum mosses at Thursley Common on Sunday. Chatting to one of the assistant wardens, he did inform me that there has been a noticeable reduction in their number, the cause of which has been subject to an ongoing investigation by ecologists. He also suggested that the extinction of White-faced Darter at Thursley could have been down to this phenomenon. During the morning, I was fairly confident in identifying Sphagnum molle, fallax and magellanicum.

I emailed Ann Sankey, Surrey's botanical recorder, with an image of my putative Early Meadow-grass. Her verdict is that it is just Annual Meadow-grass. I had high hopes for that Poa. Oh well, I did say I wasn't that hot on grasses...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"