Sphagnum scene


I was slightly disappointed at the lack of Sphagnum mosses at Thursley Common on Sunday. Chatting to one of the assistant wardens, he did inform me that there has been a noticeable reduction in their number, the cause of which has been subject to an ongoing investigation by ecologists. He also suggested that the extinction of White-faced Darter at Thursley could have been down to this phenomenon. During the morning, I was fairly confident in identifying Sphagnum molle, fallax and magellanicum.

I emailed Ann Sankey, Surrey's botanical recorder, with an image of my putative Early Meadow-grass. Her verdict is that it is just Annual Meadow-grass. I had high hopes for that Poa. Oh well, I did say I wasn't that hot on grasses...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood

To tell it like it is, or not...