A sodden moth trap


Last night seemed mild enough to expect a bit of moth action in the garden, so out went the MV and down came the rain. It was still bucketing down when I stirred in the early hours and was still raining when I switched the MV off at about 07.00hrs. The total catch was poor and lacking in variety, not unusual for the garden when it doesn't stop raining. Best of a poor bunch was this Mullein, always good to see. So far, whereas other Surrey gardens have been pulling in Blossom Underwings and Dotted Chestnuts, I have been under-achieving here in Banstead. But it only takes one moth to turn that scenario around...

Comments

Unknown said…
Nice one Steve. Not run my trap for some time despite the mild weather. I just know if I do then it means more time at the microscope gen detting and I am already swamped under. Anyway, I am finding enough interesting micros by day to keep me ticking along. I have thought this might be the way I go this season, looking for micros.
Steve Gale said…
Andrew, I can most probably find a new micro each day throughout the summer if I wanted to!

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood