Tree-lichen Beauty


From a UK screaming rarity to a 'nightly' back garden moth, the Tree-lichen Beauty has had its status re-written several times over the past twenty years. I have started to trap it on most nights now, and during last summer had a peak of four on one evening. The individual photographed above shows a particularly colourful moth - some of them can appear almost monochrome.

Comments

Lee Dingain said…
Totally agree, a beautiful moth. Had an incredible 11 last week - bonkers! Check this pic out: http://www.leedingain.com/2014/07/warm-spell-brings-out-moths.html
Steve Gale said…
Hi Lee, Pete Alfrey pointed me in the direction of your 11 Tree-lichen Beauty image - bonkers, as you say. And get this - in 1991 Dave Walker phoned me from Dungeness to say that he had just trapped one, which was the first in the UK for donkey's years. I almost drove down to see it...

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"