Autumnal moths


The contents of a moth trap by late September is a wonderful collection of autumnal colours - russets and chestnuts, browns and blacks, oranges and yellows - with subtlety taking over from the garishness of summer. A few moths from this morning included (clockwise from top left) Black Rustic, Autumnal Rustic, Beaded Chestnut and Lunar Underwing. Normally by now I would have recorded a good cross-section of the 'sallow' moths, but they have been strangely missing.

Comments

Dave Boyle said…
Haven't seen them for a few years but Autumnal Rustic & Black Rustic are two of my favourite moths
Steve Gale said…
I doubt if you've been in the UK during their flight times recently Dave. I could keep a couple in the fridge for you...

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"