A bramble that you can actually identify


These images are of Rubus laciniatus, a species of bramble that even boasts an 'English' name - that of Cut-leaved Bramble. There are currently 334 microspecies of rubus recognised in the UK and I can only recognise one of them, the one pictured here. I might be able to identify more, but, to be honest, I haven't really tried. I imagine that to do so might involve keys, microscopes and a dictionary to decipher such words as 'acicles' and 'tomentose'.

This plant was found on Headley Heath in Surrey. It is, in fact, an alien species to the UK and well-known for its good fruit.

Comments

Stewart said…
Our 'tomentose' have done really well this year in our porch. We are still picking them...

S...
Steve Gale said…
Thank you Stewart, I wondered what it meant!

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood