Green-winged Orchid


Following a tip-off from a local botanist, I went to seek out a rare plant in Surrey - Green-winged Orchid. I found a very healthy plant on a well-botanised piece of calcareous grassland, where this species has not, as far as I am aware, been recorded before. This begs the question as to whether or not the orchid is only here because of deliberate planting. Regardless of its provenance, it was a cracker!

I also spent some time at the 'new' Surrey Wildlife Trust reserve at Priest Hill, where I was amply rewarded with single Peregrine, Hobby, 2 Common Buzzard, 5 Common Swift, 3 Skylark, 2 Northern Wheatear, 10+ Whitethroat, 2 Blackcap, 1 Willow Warbler and 1 Chiffchaff. Only a ten minute stroll from my front door, this reserve might be worth a few visits this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood

To tell it like it is, or not...