Green-winged Orchid


Following a tip-off from a local botanist, I went to seek out a rare plant in Surrey - Green-winged Orchid. I found a very healthy plant on a well-botanised piece of calcareous grassland, where this species has not, as far as I am aware, been recorded before. This begs the question as to whether or not the orchid is only here because of deliberate planting. Regardless of its provenance, it was a cracker!

I also spent some time at the 'new' Surrey Wildlife Trust reserve at Priest Hill, where I was amply rewarded with single Peregrine, Hobby, 2 Common Buzzard, 5 Common Swift, 3 Skylark, 2 Northern Wheatear, 10+ Whitethroat, 2 Blackcap, 1 Willow Warbler and 1 Chiffchaff. Only a ten minute stroll from my front door, this reserve might be worth a few visits this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"