What's not to lichen?


They might now be a common moth in the garden, but I don't get tired of Tree-lichen Beauty. From a national screaming rarity to accepted observation in less than 15-20 years is some going. They are beautiful moths, full of greens, greys, browns and blacks (looking a lot like the lichen food plant they are named after) and they vary enormously - no two seem to be the same. The top picture is of one of the brightest that I have seen, compared to below of a couple from 2013, demonstrating the variety in colour intensity.


Comments

Dylan Wrathall said…
Steve, they're a superb moth. I well remember Dave Walker passing a potted specimen for the inspection of Ray Turley and myself - 1993-ish (?) It was like we were being given a private viewing of "The Crown Jewels" - such was the rarity of the species at that time. Like your experience in Banstead - I am now able to record this insect on an annual basis, seven individuals being the best single night total, thus far, in our Dumpton garden (Aug 2012) - Dyl
P.S. - some of your recent plant stuff is most interesting to a complete Philistine, such as myself !
What a beauty! Not come across one of these yet, thanks!
Steve Gale said…
Hi Dyl. I seriously considered driving 90 miles to see that very same Dungeness individual! Glad I resisted the urge. Pleased that you are enjoying the plant posts - no doubt more to come. All the best, Steve
Steve Gale said…
You will soon enough Simon, as they are spreading...
Stewart said…
As you may expect Steve, I'm not keen on these new things. Much prefer Green brindled Crescent, Sallows and the ilk.....
And thats not because it will take another century to get this far ;)

Steve Gale said…
Oh, I like all those as well Stewart. As for a century, maybe another 25 years or so - something for your retirement years!!

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood