Misty farmland hop


I arrived at Mogador in brilliant sunshine, but almost immediately a sudden fog descended, rendering the binoculars pointless. However, it was most atmospheric, with sound coming to the fore: the low roar of the M25 fancifully becoming the rumble of distant waves; church bells sending me back to the drowsy Sundays of childhood; lone Fieldfare and Meadow Pipit calling above the gloom, searching for those below the blanket of mist. The sun was trying very hard to burn the meteorological interloper off (above) and within twenty minutes had succeeded.

Mogador is an area of open farmland just north of the North Downs scarp at Colley Hill, sandwiched between Banstead Heath and the A217. It is (for Surrey) on high ground and characterised by large fields with scant hedges and tiny stunted copses. I have long considered it to be full of promise, but there again when did I ever look at a parcel of land and think otherwise? I can expect chats in the spring and autumn, and dream of better, rarer things.

A Common Buzzard, 12 Skylark, 2 Meadow Pipit (below), 6 Fieldfare, a Redwing, 2 Redpoll and 3 Yellowhammer were my accompanying comrades (anthropomorphic alert!). I was wrapped up in clothing beyond what was necessary on this very mild December day - a persistent throat infection and head cold just will not budge, even with the dosing of cough medicine, Strepsils, paracetamol and mugs of tea. It's getting to be a nuisance.


Comments

Derek Faulkner said…
You really are starting to write some really good and atmospheric stuff, I love reading it, rarely if ever negatives, always the positives. If your cold is anything like mine, which saw me bed-ridden for two days and has now lasted four weeks with much coughing, good luck.
Gavin Haig said…
Hear hear! Gorgeous opening para and photo, Steve. I should take a leaf out of your book and quit with the moaning!

Trouble is, I quite enjoy it...
Steve Gale said…
Thank you for the compliments Derek and commiserations on the cold.
Steve Gale said…
Likewise, thank you Gavin. I don't know where my moaning has gone to - it is normally present and correct!

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood