Trooping of the funnel

I took myself off to Juniper Top and Bottom this morning, still nursing a sore throat and head cold, although it does finally seem to be on the wane (I'm not expecting any sympathy by the way). My walk was circular, taking in plenty of dark footpaths that were swaddled in yew, ivy, moss and fern. There were plenty of birds, mainly marauding flocks of tits (which did include 11 Marsh, spread out along the route) and thrushes (110+ Redwing were the most numerous). One particular Yew was huge, the photograph below does not do justice to its size, although to help I have added three green dots which mark the six foot point from the ground. Yes, it was big!


There was little in the way of fungi, although one smart fruiting body caught my attention, which if I'm not mistaken is a Trooping Funnel (below). I attach a caveat to all my fungi identification - it's a bloody minefield...

Comments

Gavin Haig said…
Rest assured Steve, you at least have my sympathy! I've been uncharacteristiaclly battered by virus infections over the last several weeks, and currently struggling to shake off bronchitis. Miserable!
Steve Gale said…
Thanks Gav, sympathy returned!

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood