Patch update


Another circuit of the large meadow at Priest Hill was indulged in this afternoon. The Belted Galloway cattle were feasting away, but I was unable to locate a Cattle Egret among them. After last Friday's fly-by I have been wondering whether or not it might have been tempted to come back and spend some time with them...

I really must have a proper look at this SWT reserve, as this afternoon's hour 'glance' produced a Skylark, 2 Meadow Pipit, a Redwing, a female Stonechat, 25+ Linnet, a Lesser Redpoll and 2 Reed Bunting. I keep saying it, but this place has bucket loads of potential.

Those of you with a good memory may recall that I have taken on Northumberland's Stewart Sexton in a repeat of our 2015 Patch Challenge (which he easily won). My target for 2016 was set at 95 species (last years total). So far this year I have recorded 103 species, which is 108.42% of my target. Will that be enough to topple Mr. Sexton? Time will tell.

Comments

Derek Faulkner said…
Nice to see the cattle in there doing their stuff and the meadow will be all the better for it next year.
Steve Gale said…
Derek, this is the third year that they have been utilised over the winter. Plenty of reserves here in Surrey use this breed to keep vegetation at bay.

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood