Three moths

This Death's-head Hawk-moth was found at rest on the outside wall of one of the beach dwellings at Dungeness. It was the second that I have seen there. It posed perfectly for photographers, and was released unharmed to carry on its nocturnal foraging - a shame that all such moths do not get to do so...
I was more than chuffed when Bob Arnfield appeared one morning to show us this Purple Cloud, trapped at the Dungeness Long Pits. Only the c30th for the UK and a species that I have long dreamed of seeing.
Rest Harrow has only recently been found to breed at Dungeness. Known up the coast at Kingsdown and Sandwich Bay (where I have previously seen them), this species does, on the rare occasion, turn up elsewhere.

Comments

Gibster said…
Not often a Death's Head gets upstaged but I think that Purple Cloud may have just about managed it.
Steve Gale said…
I'm with you there Seth
Fabulous moths, all three
Stewart said…
Some belters there Steve, that purple Cloud is glorious...
Steve Gale said…
I was only too pleased to jam into it Stewart

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood