Lord of the Owls


So, I've just taken the picture above (as I'm scanning for owls at Amberley Wild Brooks) and a woman, walking a couple of dogs, approaches me.

Woman: "What are you looking for?"

Me: "Owls"

Woman (with much joy and incredulity on her face): "ELVES!!!"

When I explained to her that I was actually looking for owls she seemed terribly disappointed. She no doubt thought that the Lord of the Rings trilogy was, in fact, a documentary...

I managed to see two Barn Elves but unfortunately no Short-eared Elves. Maybe they are still quartering the open ground at Hobbiton.

Comments

Gavin Haig said…
Priceless!

Mind you, imagine if a long-cherished hope was seemingly fulfilled...then horribly crushed a moment later. You cruel man. :o)
Jerry said…
I expect she's from Muddle-earth Steve. Mind you, I'd love to see an Elf Owl but I think Amberley is probably a bit short on cacti.
Steve Gale said…
Yes Gav, cruelty is my middle name...

Jerry, you make a valid point there!
Sarah said…
This made me LOL! Quite an achievement on a wet dismal day :)
Steve Gale said…
The weather is even worse today Sarah, no chance of elves at all...
Elves exist!

To see them well you need to indulge in a four pack of cheap lager.

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"