Meteorological autumn birding blitz
Fate has spoken - presumed plans for this autumn's birding have not gone according to said plan - so I find myself cooking up a project which, although modest, has got my juices flowing. A local 'meteorological autumn' birding blitz will be undertaken, all ornithological effort to be committed across the downland areas of my self-proclaimed 'uberpatch' - in effect the scarp slope of the North Downs between Ranmore and Reigate Hill plus the northern spur that runs up to Banstead. This removes Beddington Farmlands and the Holmethorpe sand pit complex from my orbit, both areas that already receive decent coverage.
Meteorological autumn runs from September 1st - November 30th. During that time I will endeavour to cram as much birding in as I can considerately do, keeping to the areas defined above. To many birders this will be an act of folly - committing yourself to cover a largely waterless area which is not heavily birded because it is not, to be brutally honest, all that 'birdy'. However... it can have, and has had, its moments. Over the years I've been able to witness some truly memorable events: mass gatherings of Hawfinches and Bramblings; large visible migrations of hirundines, thrushes, finches and pipits; plus the odd scarcity. The birds and the happenings are out there but need feet on the ground and eyes to the skies to find them and witness them. Delusional? Maybe.
So what will be considered a success? Lasting the three months will be. There are bound to be times when I've laboured in the field for hours (or even days) on end and feel deflated by the lack of birds. There will also be times when the birding WhatsApp groups will ping through news of rarity and spectacle elsewhere. At such times I will hopefully recite the following mantra in my head - 'Comparison is the thief of joy' - and push on. Enjoying the project will be of importance, regardless of end result. What is seen and found will, of course, be of high priority. As much as the daydreamer in me can wish for Wrynecks, shrikes and Yellow-browed Warblers the reality is that Tree Pipits, Ring Ouzels, Pied Flycatchers and Woodlarks are a more realistic top shelf. A few decent vis-mig sessions will have high value and in this arena the uberpatch can punch above its weight. There will be many mornings when I'll link up (virtually) with Wes Attridge and the boys at Leith Hill Tower to compare notes. I have made up a list of the species that I will most likely record, which neatly comes to 100, and this total is very light on wildfowl and waders with the only water being a few park ponds plus the Rivers Mole and Hogsmill (which are more stream-like in all honesty). In addition I have jotted down a list of 'possibles' that will more likely than not be no-shows. These are Cattle Egret, Great White Egret, Honey Buzzard, Marsh Harrier, Osprey, Dartford Warbler and Pied Flycatcher. If I were being braver I'd add a few more. This whole endeavour is not a numbers game but it is a bit of fun keeping score.
I have largely neglected local birding this year, having been spoiled somewhat by a couple of highly profitable holidays at Dungeness Bird Observatory in the spring. On my return from the Kent shingle I largely phased. This is a chance for a reset, to get the step count up, rediscover the delights and frustrations of local birding and try and help swell the data of what our birdlife is up to after the desiccating summer of 2026. As much as my focus will be on the migrants I'm sure there will be plenty of time to count the locals!
I have identified 11 'compartment' areas to cover. I will keep a cumulative list for each one and try to BirdTrack each visit and upload any vis-mig session onto Trektellen. The countdown has started. The optics are clean. The tripod oiled. Notebooks with empty pages are there to be filled. Spare batteries for the hearing aids (which I wear when vis-migging) all present and correct. Enthusiasm high. Now that I have announced the project in the public arena there is no turning back.
What could possibly go wrong...?
Comments
Since retiring, life has become very full. Birding and, unfortunately, blogging have gone on the back burner. Also, moths have me by the short and curlies, and refuse to let go just yet. That all said, your project is exactly the kind that I would enjoy getting involved with locally. Not going to happen though, but I shall certainly be with you in spirit!
All the best,
Gav 😁👍