Smaller still

I first became aware of the Raynox DCR-250 a couple of years ago, via Leicester City's very own mascot, Mark Skevington - you can read his initial thoughts here. It is basically a magnifying lens that is clipped onto an existing DSLR or bridge camera lens. Skev's results with this combination are, I think, spectacular. Because many inverts are so small, and, when you look at them close-up, beautiful, I've longed after the means of obtaining some worthy images. This week I took the plunge and purchased one - and at around £40 it is not silly money.

Time was a bit tight this morning, but I wanted to try it out. I clipped it onto the end of my 60mm Canon macro lens (itself attached to my now old Canon 400D). Everything was set up for autofocus, so I knew that the depth of field would be shallow. The result was very pleasing.


This is, I think, Pinalitus cervinus (and if you know better, please let me know). It is tiny and to my failing middle-aged eyes lacked any colour or markings at all. The Raynox lifted it out of obscurity! Tomorrow I will rescue any small creature from my MV haul and attempt to obtain Skev-quality shots with a combination of tripod, timer and patience.


Another subject I attempted was this Plutella xylostella. For a first time, ten minute session on auto focus I was well pleased with the results.

Comments

Unknown said…
You'll enjoy this lens. I use mine on a Fuji HS30 as I find they work best with bridge cameras. I have tried it on my Canon 100mm macro lens and I think I did best by focussing at the longest length (infinity) and moving the camera back and forth until the subject was in focus.

I also have the Raynox DCR-150 which is a lesser magnification version that I find best for holidays when I hardly ever take a tripod.
Steve Gale said…
I'm thinking about a bridge camera with x50-60 zoom, purely to bring a few birds into photographic range. I'm not prepared to pay silly money for a decent zoom lens for my SLR.
Unknown said…
I am happy with the HS30 of which I upgraded from the HS10. I must admit that at the moment I have my eye of the Fuji FZ200 which has a f2.8 aperture throughout the zoom range. Too many other things I want though which is the problem.

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood