Smaller still

I first became aware of the Raynox DCR-250 a couple of years ago, via Leicester City's very own mascot, Mark Skevington - you can read his initial thoughts here. It is basically a magnifying lens that is clipped onto an existing DSLR or bridge camera lens. Skev's results with this combination are, I think, spectacular. Because many inverts are so small, and, when you look at them close-up, beautiful, I've longed after the means of obtaining some worthy images. This week I took the plunge and purchased one - and at around £40 it is not silly money.

Time was a bit tight this morning, but I wanted to try it out. I clipped it onto the end of my 60mm Canon macro lens (itself attached to my now old Canon 400D). Everything was set up for autofocus, so I knew that the depth of field would be shallow. The result was very pleasing.


This is, I think, Pinalitus cervinus (and if you know better, please let me know). It is tiny and to my failing middle-aged eyes lacked any colour or markings at all. The Raynox lifted it out of obscurity! Tomorrow I will rescue any small creature from my MV haul and attempt to obtain Skev-quality shots with a combination of tripod, timer and patience.


Another subject I attempted was this Plutella xylostella. For a first time, ten minute session on auto focus I was well pleased with the results.

Comments

Unknown said…
You'll enjoy this lens. I use mine on a Fuji HS30 as I find they work best with bridge cameras. I have tried it on my Canon 100mm macro lens and I think I did best by focussing at the longest length (infinity) and moving the camera back and forth until the subject was in focus.

I also have the Raynox DCR-150 which is a lesser magnification version that I find best for holidays when I hardly ever take a tripod.
Steve Gale said…
I'm thinking about a bridge camera with x50-60 zoom, purely to bring a few birds into photographic range. I'm not prepared to pay silly money for a decent zoom lens for my SLR.
Unknown said…
I am happy with the HS30 of which I upgraded from the HS10. I must admit that at the moment I have my eye of the Fuji FZ200 which has a f2.8 aperture throughout the zoom range. Too many other things I want though which is the problem.

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"