Amber


Last night we lost Amber, our beloved Cocker Spaniel. The vet could do nothing to help her, so we had to say goodbye. She was 11 years old and she had been with us from the age of six weeks.

Amber's birding highlight was flushing a Golden Plover as we walked across the grassy expanse of Epsom Downs - she never did find a woodcock, much to her breeds disappointment.

She had a big part to play in the first Surrey record (for 25 years) of Field Gromwell. We were on Epsom Downs (one of her favourite walks) when she decided to take me off the usual route. I followed. We then came to a chalky field corner, which I thought looked interesting, and so it proved, with not just Venus's Looking-glass but the aforementioned Gromwells. Had it not been on her insistence, then the chances are that they would have remained undiscovered.

People that are not pet owners will most probably not understand that the loss of a close pet is shattering. We are all at loss here at the moment. The picture above is of Amber in the sea at Charmouth. She loved water. We loved her.

Comments

Derek Faulkner said…
So, so, feel for you Steve, it's absolutely shattering as any dog lover will know. My dogs are my constant companions and I wouldn't dream of going out on my patch without them. Over the years I've had to take several for their final journey and it never, ever, gets any easier. I've always kept two, about five years apart in age, and in that way you always have the comfort of one to fall back on.
Unknown said…
My condolences, looks like a nice dog.
After more than a decade of companionship and a host of memories with Amber at the heart of the narrative, I can certainly appreciate it is a huge loss, Steve. I was very sorry to read your post and hope that the month's birding down south is the best kind of comfort.
Steve Gale said…
Thank you Derek. I knew that you were a dog person and would understand how we feel. That is sound advice about staggering ages to fend off the worst effects of losing a dog.
Steve Gale said…
Thank you Andrew, she was a nice, sweet-tempered dog.
Steve Gale said…
That's very kind Lucy. My months birding will most probably be shortened and delayed. My place is at home.
Gill Hollamby said…
So sorry, Steve. It is hard but at the end of the day it is the last kind thing you can do. See you soon.
Stewart said…
So sorry to hear that Steve, 11 isnt a big age for her. Its a shame you couldnt have had a another few years together. Thats the thing about our lovely animals, they just aren't around long enough. All the best to you and your family at this difficult time.
Steve Gale said…
You're right Gill. See you on the shingle soon.
Steve Gale said…
Stewart, we were hoping for at least a couple more years with her, but her time had come. Now just trying to remember all of the good times and they were many and varied!
Paul Trodd said…
Crikey Steve, that's heart-breaking, I really do know what you and the family are going through, its happened to us several times. I`m thinking of taking Derek`s advice and getting a nipper to run with Barney. Hope to see you soon down on the shingle.
Steve Gale said…
Thanks Paul. Sad times indeed. Look after the small fella...
Factor said…
Really sorry to hear your sad news mate. It is always heartbreaking to lose a beloved member of the family. Wishing you and yours all the very best.
Steve Gale said…
That's kind of you Neil. I remember you going through similar emotions with your feline family members.

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood