EPO

A search of the scrub at the bottom of the North Downs scarp, at Denbies Hillside, could only reveal a handful of Whitethroats and none of the passage migrants I was hoping for. My effort this spring has not, on the whole, been rewarded - no doubt a sentiment shared by many birders up and down the country. Some consolation was had with the number of species of flower that are now coming into bloom, particularly the ground flora of the woodland. In amongst the Bluebells at the top of the hill it was a pleasure to revisit the Early Purple Orchid colony (below). Another month starts tomorrow, and my first appointment in the morning is my second COVID jab, at Epsom Downs racecourse. I might just take my binoculars along...


Comments

Conehead54 said…
Yesterday looked to be sunny, so took the train from London to Dorking to visit Denbies. Did the woodland walk from Steers Field & in the past have usually found small colonies of Early Purple Orchids. Couldn't find them yesterday & walked further than I ever had before, but no joy. But the Bluebell display was magnificent. Plenty of other nice plants- the native subspecies of Yellow Archangel, Greater Stitchwort, Sweet Woodruff just opening up, Goldilocks Buttercup, Bugle, etc.

Sadly sun was in short supply after midday but connected with 6 Dingy & 2 Grizzled Skippers, a Green Hairstreak & my first couple of Small Heaths of the year. Nice to see a Small Purple-barred.

I went down to the lovely pond the other side of the railway but somebody had removed all the refugia tins recently from around it as the cool conditions looked good for herps.
Steve Gale said…
Sorry that you didn't come across any Early Purple Orchids, and I must admit that they did not seem as numerous as they have done in recent years. As you say, the woodland flora is coming into a good flowering time, all bright and fresh.

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood