Colley potter

Looking across the chalk pit to the scarp slope of Colley Hill

Colley potter - sounds like a BBC1 Sunday evening family drama, doesn’t it? However, it just describes my afternoon, spent climbing up and down the steep, south-facing scarp slope of Colley Hill, together with a side trip (on foot) to the cricket pitch on Reigate Heath. It was yet another cool and blustery day, although thankfully lacking the heavy rain showers of recent days. The footpaths have become muddy again and insect life was depressed, with barely a butterfly to look at. Botanically it seems as if many species are late in flowering, certainly the carpet of flowers that is to be expected on chalk down land is so far missing. I know it’s boring because I’ve banged on about it frequently this Spring, but the lot of the dry inland birder is, at the moment, one of few birds. My scanning of the skies from the hill top just underlined how little is out there, with very little bird song and very few migrants. Thankfully I can turn my attention to other life forms - both Annual Knawel (below) and Bird's-foot (middle) were on the short sward of Reigate Heath (bottom). The Bird's-foot was profuse.




At the bottom of the slope I came across a single plant of Green Hound's-tongue, a rare flower of limited range in England. Although I have seen colonies of several thousand in Surrey, this is the furthest east that I have seen one in the county.

Comments

Kingsdowner said…
Charming plants Steve, and you no doubt looked elegant when taking the photos.
I just can't do plant identification, I have to use an app
Ric said…
Steve, people I meet seem to think I can put a name to every piece of flora and fauna there is, but I have to inform them I am on the fringes of such things. There's this chap called...
A very rare skill of yours indeed. I'd think that if there was a pan list competition, you would win by a street. Should be on TV.
Stewart said…
Im glad you are back Steve, I saw a glimpse of your unpublished post and slipped into the decline!
I feel your Spring pain too, although we are on the coast so there are some birds to look at, such as the Little Terns recently, it is very slow out there. I have not had a Gropper, Swift or Yellow Wagtail on my home patch and the first two not even in the 5km. Moth trapping is at best sporadic and our usual invert trips inland have gone totally by the wayside this month as there will be nothing to see.

It looks set to improve this weekend so lets hope its a broader change for the coming months...

Keep blogging...
Steve Gale said…
Steve - I don't think I can claim to have ever been elegant!

Simon - anybody can. Give it a go.

Ric - I am a mere beginner compared to many naturalists that I know.

Stewart - it has been a hard spring, not just for the birds but us birders! As you say, the warmth is coming.

Popular posts from this blog

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood

To tell it like it is, or not...