More invert action

Sometimes, just a nose about locally is all it takes to produce the goods. After a morning of gardening I took myself off to check Banstead Downs for Striped Shieldbug (above). I didn't find them where I have had success before, but did come across three individuals within 3m of each other at a new site (TQ2664260543) some 500m south of the original Freedown Lane colony. 

I also came across Lixus iridis (above) at four sites, all shown on the map below. Each of these areas are open in character with a heavy ground vegetation. The weevil seems to like Hogweed. Today, all three Striped Shieldbugs were on Bramble.

Apart from the Striped I also recorded Brassica, Dock, Hairy and, best of all, Woundwort Shieldbug (below), my favourite - just like delicate precious jewels. The chances are, if you are in the Banstead, Wallington, Chipstead, Coulsden or Croydon areas, a check of any stand of Hogweed might provide you with either of these colonising inverts. That's my summer sorted out then...

Comments

Gibster said…
Nice. Very, very nice. I had a tick on my arm, not quite the same though is it :/
Steve Gale said…
They’ll reach Uig before you know it Seth.
martinf said…
They are some good looking inverts. That bug is just something else!
Steve Gale said…
Martin - and all on my doorstep. The birding might be trying, but the inverts are top notch.

Popular posts from this blog

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood

To tell it like it is, or not...