Surrey 5km bird race

Back in March, Ed Stubbs announced the launch of a Surrey-based bird race, to take part on May 7th. The rules were simple: between 00.00hrs - 18.00hrs observers were asked to record as many species as possible within a 5km radius of a nominated point. The use of 'green' transport - foot or bike - was encouraged. Solo birders or gathered teams were both welcome. I was, of course, in!

So, where would my nominated point be? The most obvious starting place would be my home in Banstead. I would then be able to carry out the whole day 'on foot'. I started to look at a route, which would, by necessity, have to take in the very few limited water bodies within that area. There was a downside - there would be plenty of walking through areas that would not, in all honesty, hold much. There was also a wish to be spending the day in an area that might hold a few surprises, be they untrodden footpaths, unvisited tracts of land and stunning scenery - in the end I plumped for Colley Hill. This gave me plenty of scope as far as habitat variety (downland, farmland, heath, woodland) and a bit of precious open water, although the largest waterbody is private and difficult (even impossible) to view. Knowing full well that there would be plenty of competitors birding more bird-friendly habitat than me, the pressure was off as far as trying to get the biggest score on the day, hence I could bird without any pressure, bar that of pushing myself to see just what I could eek out of my chosen route. I would have to drive to my starting point, but would then walk for the rest of the day. Bring it on!

At 04.00hrs I got out of the car and walked onto Reigate Heath. It was pitch black, although the first thin slivers of light were appearing in the eastern sky. All was quiet until a Robin (04.25) started singing, soon joined by Blackbird (04.35hrs), Tawny Owl (04.36) and Song Thrush, Carrion Crow and Pheasant (all 04.36). By now the light was strengthening, and so was the bird song, with a rush of species onto the list - Woodpigeon and Stock Dove (04.45), Blackcap and Wren (04.55), Chiffchaff (04.59), Herring Gull (05.02), Blue Tit and Great Tit (05.05) and Jackdaw (05.15).

Arriving at Priory Park, Reigate I had also arrived at my first crunch point. With water at a premium on the day's route, the park pond was crucial for a few species. On the way there, Green Woodpecker and Dunnock (05.20), Chaffinch, Goldfinch and Whitethroat (05.23) all made it onto the list. My first views out across the pond produced a few 'must-haves' - Coot, Mallard, Mute Swan, Little Grebe, Moorhen and Canada Goose (05.30) - but where were the Tufted Duck? This could be costly! The woodland around the lake provided Coal Tit, Goldcrest and Magpie (05.30) but my mind was still with the missing Tufties. I returned to scan the lake again, but they were definitely missing. There was compensation however, as four Mandarin Ducks (05.35) were grazing on the football pitches along with an Egyptian Goose (05.37). Retracing my steps back to Reigate Heath  - Mistle Thrush (06.00) and Nuthatch (06.12) - I then took a steep climb up to the top of Colley Hill, adding, as I ascended, Ring-necked Parakeet (06.35), Raven (06.37), Long-tailed Tit and Bullfinch (06.40), Pied Wagtail (06.44, remarkably my only one of the day!), Greenfinch (06.45) and House Sparrow (06.46). I had built-in a skywatch from the summit as part of my itinerary, but this proved to be so slow and lacking in rewards that it was cut short, but not before the addition of Grey Heron (07.00), Red-legged Partridge (07.04), Lesser Black-backed Gull (07.18), Cormorant (07.26) and, on a small sand pit in the middle-distance, Tufted Duck (07.40). The wheel's were back on the bus!

Onto the farmland at Mogador, which was to prove a good move. After a few expected species were mopped up - Jay (08.10), Starling (08.14), Feral Rock Dove and Collared Dove (08.25), Kestrel (08.27), Skylark (08.29) and Linnet (08.40) - a pair of Meadow Pipit were found alongside a female Whinchat (08.40) along a fence line. When a Wheatear appeared with them shortly afterwards (08.50), both pictured above, I was in a good bird-race place, as chats had been tricky to find locally this spring. A Red Kite (08.55) was expected, but not so the two Yellow Wagtail that flew through north (08.58). After adding Swallow (09.00) things slowed down, with Common Buzzard (09.20) and Great Spotted Woodpecker (09.35) next up.

The scrub on Walton Heath was alive with bird song, welcoming Willow Warbler (09.52), Garden Warbler (09.56) and Yellowhammer (09.59) into the day's proceedings, with nearby woodland finally gave up a singing Treecreeper (10.45). I then made a fortuitous error, picking up the wrong footpath that took me across the M25 and back onto the top of the scarp slope. I decided to carry along the ridge to where I wanted to go, rather than doubling back, which was rewarded with a Hobby (11.01) and Swift (11.20, the only one that I saw). When getting to the desired destination (the far edge of Walton Heath) I was greeted by a singing Firecrest (11.45).

Reaching Headley Heath, after a quiet walk across footpaths, I settled on a bench with a fine view over the western-most valleys to have lunch. I couldn't have timed it better. As soon as the sandwiches and coffee were out a flock of waders appeared low, heading diagonally across me, heading south-east. Whimbrel! 13 of them (12.18)! Within a minute a couple of Cuckoo started calling (12.19) and, remarkably, a Woodlark decided to display above me (12.25). My lunch went down very well after all of that. I then had a long wait for the next new bird, although the walk to Brockham was most pleasant. At the River Mole, that runs through this charming village, a Kingfisher flashed onto the list (13.50). More beautiful, but 'fruitless for the list' footpaths were taken to the higher ground that overlooks the achingly serene River Mole floodplain at Betchworth, where there was one major surprise - a pair of Shelduck (14.25) and a single Greylag Goose (14.35). 

My journey across to Buckland was enlivened by a group of House Martin (15.27). The large sand pit here is private, off-limits and very difficult to see into, although there was one spot where water was visible from the road, that fortunately allowed me to add Great Crested Grebe and Sand Martin (16.00). I crossed the A25 to spend the final couple of hours trawling the farmland that runs up to the the scarp slope. By now options were running out. A 'late to the party' Sparrowhawk (16.19) was welcome and I was delighted to see that the resident pair of Lapwing were still hanging on (16.25). They were to be the final additions.

I ended the day on 78 species, having walked 31.9km. My biggest omissions were Little Owl, Lesser Whitethroat and Rook. 19 teams took place, recording 121 species, with the winning team recording 98 species. It was a tremendous day, but laced with mixed feelings. Where were all the hirundines? Apart from a few pockets of action, large areas were (almost) birdless. It was hard to be looking out over a beautiful view, and appreciate it, when there were almost no birds to look at. Such is the lot of the local ornithologist in 2022. If you look hard enough, you will undoubtably find, but there is less and less to look at with each passing year...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood

To tell it like it is, or not...