The Great Flowering

The resident botanists are refering to it as a once in a lifetime event. I am just grateful that I was able to witness it. Due to the wet, cool spring and early summer, Dungeness was blessed by a late and profuse flowering of many species, the quantity of which was only surpassed by the vigour of the blooms. When I arrived the Nottingham Catchfly was peaking, the subtle scent charging the evening air. Cat's-ear, Sheep's-bit, Viper's Bugloss, Mouse-ear Hawkweed and even the normally shy Dodder were putting on a spectacular show. After a week went by the modest Wood Sage burst into life, millions (literally) of plants carpeting the shingle with great rafts of off-white flowers. But, nothing lasts for ever... when I left Dungeness the Catchfly was all dried seed head, the Sheep's-bit looking sad, the Wood Sage browning at the edges. The following images cannot capture the event, but apart from my memories it's all that I can offer.

Wood Sage - dominated the vegetation in more open areas of shingle.
Nottingham Catchfly - hard to believe that this species is found in only 37 ten km squares in the UK

Cat's-ear - if I had taken a picture to the left, right and behind there would have been a similar number on show.
Sheep's-bit - in places it created a blue haze above the shingle.

Comments

Kingsdowner said…
Extraordinary sights Steve - Sheeps-bit is such a diminutive plant I can't believe what a carpet was created this year.

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"