A photogenic Kestrel


After a morning of wintery showers I ventured over to Canons Farm which was, quite frankly, bloody hard work. In previous winters the fields have at least had flocks of assorted finches, corvids and pigeons to sift through. not forgetting the hundreds of thrushes that commuted between favoured feeding areas. This winter has seen almost empty pastures - the Fieldfare flock is hovering around the 100 mark and apart from 20-40 Skylarks and 30-40 Yellowhammers (that isn't, admittedly, too shabby) there is very little to entertain the birder.

I spent a bit of time mucking about with the Nikon Coolpix P600 bridge camera that I bought last November. My main reason for getting it was down to its 60x optical zoom, this enabling me to obtain half decent 'record shots' of birds with minimal effort. A particularly social Kestrel (above) allowed me to snap away. Let's just hope that any Red-foot in the spring will be just as co-operative...

Comments

Warren Baker said…
Very nice Kestrel image :-) Skylarks and Yellowhammers in flocks! If only ! :-)
Steve Gale said…
Thanks Warren. And yes, I know that I shouldn't complain about those two species being present in flocks!
Stewart said…
I hope so too....nice pic!
Steve Gale said…
Cheers Stewart. My appreciation of flocks grows by the day - honest!

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood