Wheatear Trophy Winner 2014


The North Downs and beyond Wheatear Trophy is up there in kudos with an Academy Award Oscar or the Nobel Peace Prize. Grown men have been known to cheat, steal and commit acts of violence to try and get their hands on it. The rules are simple  - which blog has unashamedly posted gratuitous images of Wheatears as the delightful little white-arses arrive on our shores. But there can only be one winner...

The 2014 NDB Wheatear Trophy is awarded to.....

MARTIN CASEMORE at PLODDINGBIRDER!

This morning, at a lavish ceremony held at the Dungeness lifeboat station, last years winner (Gavin Haig), presented the trophy to Martin, who, as you can see from the photograph above, came dressed-up as his favourite species of bird. Two other blogs are worthy of mention in this years competition - Plover's Blog (Barney and the Bedford Plover) and Wanstead Birder (Jono Lethbridge) - both are to be commended on plastering their blogs with plenty of Wheatear action. They were beaten by a more driven (and some might say more 'desperate' man). So, the Wheatear flame has been passed from Devon to Kent. Can Essex wrest it from Kent's hold in 2015? And does anyone care?

Comments

Billy Dykes said…
I care greatly Mr. Gale, and was looking forward to bombarding you (and everyone else) with yet more meaningless (and let's face it, rubbish) images of them. However, the short running period of your widely renowned competition is clearly biased towards coastal birders. Outrage, I say! Outrage! ;-)
Gavin Haig said…
I must take a break from the bike - it's putting years on me...
Paul Trodd said…
We woz robbed, master keeps muttering about a handicap system for next year, based on quality of camera lens, and something called the Duckworth-Lewis or other... got birds on the brain he has... woof, woof - Barney
Steve Gale said…
Next year Bill I will introduce an Inland category...
Steve Gale said…
Gavin, good to hear from you. Are you birding this spring?
Steve Gale said…
Barney, I have a feeling that your Master is too preoccupied with sea watching at the moment. Wheatears are land birds. He might get the hang of it next year and clean up! Woof!
Ploddingbirder said…
I am honoured to receive such a prestigious accolade from from my esteemed Peers, I will cherish it and openly flaunt it each morning at The Point as I strive to get more pictures of Wheatears.
Gavin Haig said…
I've looked at a lot of gulls. If that counts, then yes ;-)
Steve Gale said…
Well deserved Martin, but I think the competition will be very stiff next March. Enjoy your year of glory!
Stewart said…
I'm still waiting for one!
Steve Gale said…
You'll have to move 'darn sarf' then Stewart.
Factor said…
Get that blog of yours up and running again, Gavin. I need more of your gull id tips. It's all your fault I am incapable of indentifying a Caspian Gull at Beddington yet!

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood