Good stuff on the downs

A bit of a 'secret squirrel' post as I won't reveal the exact location of two of the species that Seth and I recorded today. Both were in the Mickleham/Box Hill area is all that I will say.

Firstly was a singing Firecrest that performed admirably from a mature yew tree.


Secondly was at least 1,000 plants of Wild Candytuft (above) from its only known Surrey station. This isn't a common plant anywhere. We also found it at another site, maybe half a mile away. There was a fair amount in flower. Both sites are on southward facing disturbed chalky soil.


Another plant that I was pleased to see (after failing to find it on my last two visits) was this Rustyback, a fern that is on an old flint wall close to Juniper Hall Field Centre.

Comments

Unknown said…
That Wild Candytuft looks a pretty smart flower.
Billy Dykes said…
Liking the Candytuft- apparently it shouldn't start flowing till May?

How I've missed a good walk through the downs at Dorking/Mickleham. I'm back in Surrey for the weekend, so will have to try and make a trip down there at some point.
Steve Gale said…
I couldn't agree more Andrew
Steve Gale said…
I don't know whether it is true of all Wild candytuft populations Bill, but the Surrey one often has flowering plants even in the middle of winter

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood