The return of bits of twig and mothy things

I've been bad. I've neglected my moths - no MV out in the garden since mid-February. And I've largely ignored my flowers - barely glanced at them to be honest. Trouble is, if I don't keep looking at them and naming them, then I lose what little information I'd retained. It means a return to basics, a need to search once again for the commonest names and an uphill struggle to try and remember salient identification features. Does it matter? No, not really, but it does seem a shame to 'go back to square one' when you've put a lot of effort in over the years to try and get to the level of 'competent'. I was wandering around a very quiet Priest Hill this morning when I had a pang of regret over this situation. As much as I've enjoyed the many hours spent birding at this site over the past four months, it's a little like driving up a cul-de-sac - you do need to turn around at some point. So, the MV will be going out again soon and a trek onto the North Downs for a proper day's botanising will quickly follow. Neil Randon once said that this blog had too many references to "'bits of twig and mothy things'" - I think it is dire need of an injection of such stuff. But until then, a Skylark from today, one of the dozen or so present.


Comments

Derek Faulkner said…
Icy cold winds and freezing temperatures over the last week or so must of been a good excuse for forsaking other things besides birds, I know I haven't felt too inspired just lately to hang around on the marsh looking for less obvious things.
Steve Gale said…
You've got a point there Derek. Bring on some warmth!

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"