A wobble - 3km (Days 5-7)

The continuing lockdown, and the reduction of my birding footprint, got to me yesterday. I stayed indoors and chose to feel sorry for myself, watching films on the TV in preference to getting out to go birding. As pathetic as this sounds, I can be prone to a low mood at times, and, without going into detail, do have valid reasons for being like it from time to time. And, at times like these, it is best to cut myself some slack and not punish myself for feeling like it.

So, what of the birding that I have done? Well, on Tuesday I ventured to the only bit of water that is likely to supply a few birds, that of Bourne Hall Lake and the adjacent River Hogsmill. Let me temper any visualisation that you may have of these water bodies - the lake is a modest pond and the river a stream. But, they are wet enough for me to have added Mute Swan, Greylag and Canada Goose, Tufted Duck, Kingfisher and Grey Wagtail to the list. Just over the 3km border, so close but so far, is a section of the river where I can usually find Little Egret, Common Snipe and Water Rail.... oh well.

Today saw me trudge up to Canons Farm where the continuing presence of two Barn Owls have resulted in a number of birders positioning themselves across the fields each evening, many with large lenses. They have, of course, as much right as me to be here, but I cannot pretend to like it. I mooched about, counting pipits and thrushes, heard a couple of Little Owls, then left. I’m not anti-social, but in these difficult times do not feel right hanging about hedgerows along with other lurkers.

60 species so far within the 3km. Plenty more to find.

Comments

Gavin Haig said…
Not pathetic at all, Steve. You're not alone...
Derek Faulkner said…
The long lens brigade seem to have an obsession with owls and are a pain in the butt. Last winter at Elmley the presence of a Long-eared Owl in the farmyard saw enormous numbers of the long-lensers turning up and taking some pretty dire liberties in the area around the bird, including climbing on to the roof of a toilet block to get better shots.
Steve Gale said…
Thanks Gav, kind words.

Derek, I think I’m turning into the most social of anti-social birders! Or maybe the most anti-social of social ones...

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood