Another one bites the dust

In my brief, but glorious career as a twitcher, I saw a number of highly desirable species that had become blockers. For those who do not know what a blocker is, it is a bird whose rarity has not been diminished by turning up again enabling other birders to see it.

I used to have a good list of blockers. They are slowly dwindling in number...

The Semipalmated Plover in Devon was an UNBLOCKER

The Belted Kingfisher of a few Aprils ago was an UNBLOCKER

And now, the cherished Orphean Warbler that I watched on St. Marys in 1981 has been UNBLOCKED.

Just keep away from my Wallcreepers, Varied Thrush, Hudsonian Godwit, Little Whimbrel, Golden-winged Warbler... I need them as currency for bragging rights!

Comments

Skev said…
I think pretty much all of the good rarities that I've seen were twitched en masse so certainly not blockers in the same league as yours - at least not at the moment but maybe in another decade or so there will be lots of 30-something listers hankering after a Grey-tailed Tattler, Snowy Egret, Short-billed Dowitcher, Short-toed Eagle .....
Steve Gale said…
I reckon you've got some 'up and coming currency' among that lot Skev.

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"