December Moth


Yes, I know it's still November, but moths don't bother considering the names that us humans give them. It was a mild night last night, so the MV went out and my highlight was the capture of two December Moths. They are annual in the garden, but it's always a pleasure to see one. It is a species that looks wrapped up for the winter - look at that shaggy mane covering the thorax!


I was still holding on to the belief that a Cypress Carpet might still be on the wing - I've yet to record it in the garden. I wouldn't mind betting that 2014 will see it appear. And there is still the hope that the Black-spotted Chestnut will colonise from north Kent. Our lepidoptera is in a fluid state.

Comments

Very nice! Hoping for one this evening.

So far, just a few Limnephilus lunatus and a probable Limonia flavipes along with a few small flies.

It's mild but the trap isn't reflecting it. It is reflecting the growing urban sprawl. We had fields on the edge of our garden a good few years ago but they are now a kilometre or so away.

I remember climbing over the fences to run about in the farm fields. I do not think the current occupants would appreciate that.
Steve Gale said…
In some ways Andrew, these species that either hang-on in the winter months or actually prefer to appear then are all the more cherished I feel. By the way, well done on the Elfin Saddle!

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"