Surrey-side up

Dawn at Canons Farm was a misty old affair, with barely a breath of wind. I went straight to the grassy field behind the farm house, where yesterday the flock of Whinchats were hanging out. For a good 20 minutes there was nothing on show, then they appeared, at least seven still present. I caught a glimpse of a warbler low among them, and in the couple of seconds that my binoculars were trained on it thought that it was possibly a Grasshopper Warbler. I waited awhile, but nothing popped up, and I supposed that it would be a case of letting one slip through my fingers again. Being entertained by the Whinchats, my attention was elsewhere when the warbler popped up again, this time quite close - indeed, it was a Grasshopper. It stayed perched on a dead stem of Common Sorrel for a good minute, allowing me to obtain a few pictures with the camera (above and below).

It was a memorable morning, as a flock of five Golden Plover, a Yellow Wagtail and a Grey Wagtail all flew through eastwards, and a single Wheatear was still being faithful to the field with the straw bales. 

Mid-morning saw me rushing to Priest Hill, where Jason Simpson had located a Wryneck. Alas, he was the only person to see it, leaving a trail of disappointed birders in his wake. Earlier, a Spotted Crake at Beddington had encouraged a procession of observers to pay homage to it from the Southern Lake hide, but being an old-timer, and having seen four previous Spotted Crakes at BSF, I was able to play it all cool and stay put. The weather is looking quite tasty for the next few days. My prediction? A fly-over Honey Buzzard, maybe even another local Wryneck. This time however, I would like to see it...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"