A pervert in the woods?

I received an email yesterday from someone who gave me precise directions to an area in the New Forest where there are currently many Devil's Fingers fungi on show. This was a case of 'reaping what you sow', as the gent involved had asked for, and received, directions to some Bog Orchids from your's truly several years ago. But I digress...

I have a couple of days off work at the end of the week and am considering going to look for these exotic fungi. But hold on - I wouldn't be doing this if it was a rare bird and not a mushroom, would I? And why not? Well, I think I know the reason why, and that is people. If I do go to look for the 'fingers' I will most probably be the only other person there - possibly one or two others if I were present all day. If it were a rare bird then there would be a gaggle of green-clad middle-aged men already present when I arrived, a procession of others throughout the day and I would be uncomfortable.

Now, this use of the word 'uncomfortable'. Why would I feel that way? Well, standing with a number of other blokes (they usually are) decorated with binoculars, telescopes and tripods does stand out. If you are on a nature reserve it's expected, but most rare birds (or fungi for that matter) will appear where the public go and they do not expect to come across a re-enactment of 'Last of the Summer Wine' crossed with 'Autumnwatch'. There is a great deal of staring and pointing from those sans binoculars. I feel faintly absurd.

A couple of weeks ago I was wandering around Oxshott Woods looking for Starfish Fungus. There were lots of families on Sunday strolls, dog walkers and cyclists. Plus one middle-aged man, all alone, lurking in the undergrowth, furtively. Was he a sex pest? A dogger? A ne'er do well? No, it was me. But all of the looks that were coming my way suggested that I was. At one point a dog ran up to me barking. The dog's owner explained that 'he's barking because he finds it strange to see a man in the woods without another dog'.

I saw the fungi and got out of the woods as quickly as possible.

Comments

Paul Trodd said…
Steve hi, I think there`s another career for you as a psychiatrist or a stand-up comedian! Either that or get yourself down to Greatstone for a weekend with the Joker (he`ll straighten you out) and the other middle/old age duffers at Dunge where oddballs are more accepted. On a practical note tho, for blending in with the locals and all, I can strongly recommend a canine friend like my Barney, all my doggy chums over Lade just chat about doggy (not dogging!) matters and nobody thinks (probably...) that I`m a weirdo birder (mind you, I`m always careful to hide my bins just in case...). Keep on laughing (at ourselves!), Paul
Steve Gale said…
Paul, I do have a canine friend - Amber the Cocker Spaniel - who has owned us for nine years. Her crowning glory was flushing a Golden Plover on Epsom Downs. And yes, I must get down to see the Dungeness duffers again, especially my good mate Joker.
Paul Trodd said…
Steve, good old Amber; Barney`s best flush was a Stone Curlew on Lade desert, cheers, Paul

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly going blind by moss

Listing to one side

"I'm going to pick up my binoculars and walk out the front door - I may be some time"