Dungeness in mid-winter

I've just completed three days of solid birding in the Dungeness area - if I'm not careful people might mistake me for a birder! Mid-winter at Dungeness is a superb place (there again, it is at any time of year, but I am biased), just take a look at my personal highlights over the short break for confirmation of this:

Hume's Leaf Warbler, Great White Egret (2-3), Glossy Ibis, Black-throated Diver (2), Black-necked Grebe, Bittern, Little Egret (6), Bewick's Swan (52), Smew (4), Marsh Harrier (10+), Hen Harrier, Short-eared Owl, Barn Owl, Glaucous Gull (1 adult), Mediterranean Gull, Little Gull (4), Cetti's Warbler (6), Bearded Tit (5), Raven (2).

Plus, there were thousands of Wigeon and Lapwings on the hinterland, and a sea that held a feeding flock of 1600 Great Crested Grebes and c2000 Guillemots. A pure spectacle...

Great fun was had in the company of the local ornithological mafia, in particular the Bard of Littlestone, who put me up in his home and made me drink superior single malt whisky; and Hythe's very own Kenneth Branagh doppleganger, who similarly availed me of his hospitality. Thanks chaps!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood